Foothills Elementary School is located in a fairly new community in west Riverton, Utah. Our mission is to prepare students for the future by providing an optimal learning experience and encouraging students to reach their highest potential.
- Foothills Elementary currently has over 1175 students enrolled in Kindergarten through sixth grade. We expect our numbers to stabilize as the potential for new housing within our boundaries has decreased significantly.
- The school features self-contained classrooms with exterior windows and interior hall skylights. A media center, multipurpose center, cafeteria, stage and an up-to-date computer lab complete this modern, attractive facility.
- Foothills Elementary is a year-round school with four attendance tracks. Each track is in attendance for 45 days followed by a 15-day vacation. The school takes a common vacation in July. There is no bus service. All students live within walking distance of the school.
- The teacher/pupil ration is 1 to 22 in Kindergarten, 1 to 22 in grades 1 – 3 and 1 to 26 in grades 4 – 6. Actual class sizes may vary.
- A delicious, nutritious lunch is prepared in our kitchen daily.
- Chinese Immersion will be offered to first grade students at Foothills Elementary beginning in the 2010 school year. By 2015, the immersion program will be in grades 1 through 6. Students enrolled in the program receive instruction for half of the day in Chinese and half of the day in English. The whole school will be learning about Chinese culture and traditions with the hope of graduating children from our school with a more global education and experience.
Staff and Students:
- Foothills Elementary staff includes 49 certified teachers and specialists. In addition 29 classified employees serve in various other capacities.
- All certified staff hold current teaching certificates with several teachers having earned advanced degrees and educational endorsements beyond the regular teaching certificate. In addition two teachers are currently working on their National Board Certification.
- Two full time resource teachers and one part time Literacy specialist provide Tier II and Tier III interventions for students who are struggling academically. A part time school psychologist and one speech therapist are also on staff.
- Teachers participate in Professional Learning Communities to meet individual student needs and collaborate on curriculum and common assessments.
- All staff members are formally evaluated on a regular basis for the purpose of improving performance. Teachers continually participate in professional development classes to improve instructional skills.
- The curriculum meets or exceeds all District and state requirements. Teachers utilize Balanced Literacy strategies to teach reading and writing in all subject areas. Math is taught using a combination of Investigations as well as the Scott Foresman/Addison Wesley curriculum. Science and Social Studies curriculum are taught using both district and teacher-designed guides and materials using a hands-on approach. Curriculum is individualized and differentiated to meet the individual needs of students.
- Technology training in the school’s computer lab is available to all students in all grades. Students also have access to several mobile labs of laptop computers.
- Students learn leadership and communication skills by participating in Student Council and Safety Patrol.
- A School Community Group meets regularly to discuss local school problems, review District and state problems, and make recommendations for action to the principal.
- The Parent Teacher Association is an active organization at Foothills Elementary. Volunteers spend hundreds of hours annually, assisting teachers and students in the classrooms.
- Parents and community volunteers are encouraged to participate at Foothills. Volunteers help teachers with clerical tasks and tutoring small groups.
- Visitors are always welcome at Foothills. It is our goal to provide opportunities for every student and family to give of their time and service to our students, the future leaders of tomorrow.
- Our school boasts a great faculty and outstanding school spirit. We enjoy parent and community involvement, and student progress in academics and self-discipline is exceptional.